Mackerel Fish (about 1.2-1.5kg) 1 whole
Belly Side Pork (less fat) 600g – 800g
Salted Fish (Mui Heong) 2 slices
Salt 2 1/2 tsp
White Pepper dashes
Corn Flour 2 tbsp
Sesame Oil 4 tsp
Salted Fish crumbs 100g – 150g
Bitter Gourd (sliced and deseed) 1 whole
Brinjal (refer attached picture) 1 whole
Red Chilli (cut an opening and deseed) 8 – 10 pcs
Okra (cut an opening and deseed) 10 – 15pcs
Tofu Pok (cut into half) 8 – 10pcs
White Tofu (cut into half triangularly) 4 – 5pcs
Step 1 : To make fish paste
- To remove flesh from the fish (credit to Lena Lai who taught me this)
- once fish separated into 3 parts, use a metal spoon to scrap the flesh.
- skin part, scrap from tail to head
- bone part, scrap from head to tail
- keep the bones and skin for Yong Tou Fu soup
- To ‘Beat’ fish paste
- prepare a bowl of salt water
- place fish flesh into a stainless steel bowl
- wet both hands with salt water
- gather fish flesh and lift up and throw back onto the bowl
- repeat for about 15-25mins until fish paste is formed
- set aside and store into the refrigerator
** Fish paste is easily formed if the mackerel fish is very fresh.
Step 2 To mince belly side pork
I’ve chosen Belly Side Pork because it is less fat, 100% lean meat is not suitable as it will cause the paste taste hard and lack of tenderness.
Step 3 To fry salted fish and fish skin and bones
** If couldn’t find Mui Heong salted fish, can be replaced with mackerel salted fish.
Step 4 To prepare YTF paste
- Combined, fish paste, minced meat, salted fish and seasoning ingredients, mixed well.
- Scope a small portion to airfry for 5 – 8mins to taste, adjust seasoning according to your taste preference.
- Set aside and keep in the refrigerator.
Step 5 To prepare YTF soup
- Heat up 1.5Ltr – 2Ltr of water, place fried fish skin and bones into the soup.
- Slow cook for 2 – 3 hours.
- Add sesame oil, salt and pepper to taste.
** I’ve added fried anchovies and few slices of pickled mustard (榨菜) to enhance the taste.
Step 6 To prepare vegtables
Step 7 To stuff YTF paste into the vegetables
- Brush with a layer of cooking oil, air-fry it for 8 – 10mins. Alternatively, fry in wok until cook.
- Once soup is ready, heat up stuffed YTF into soup, garnish with fried onion, fried garlic and coriander.
- Serve with noodles or rice.
** After stuff the YTF paste into the vegetables, brush with a layer of salt water to smoothen it.